Pages

Thursday, June 18, 2015

City of Heavenly Fire Review

City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments #6) by Cassandra Clare

In this dazzling and long-awaited conclusion to the acclaimed Mortal Instruments series, Clary and her friends fight the greatest evil they have ever faced: Clary's own brother.
Sebastian Morgenstern is on the move, systematically turning Shadowhunter against Shadowhunter. Bearing the Infernal Cup, he transforms Shadowhunters into creatures out of nightmare, tearing apart families and lovers as the ranks of his Endarkened army swell.
The embattled Shadowhunters withdraw to Idris - but not even the famed demon towers of Alicante can keep Sebastian at bay. And with the Nephilim trapped in Idris, who will guard the world against demons?
When one of the greatest betrayals the Nephilim have ever known is revealed, Clary, Jace, Isabelle, Simon, and Alec must flee - even if their journey takes them deep into the demon realms, where no Shadowhunter has set foot before, and from which no human being has ever returned...

Love will be sacrificed and lives lost in the terrible battle for the fate of the word in the thrilling final installment of the classic urban fantasy series The Mortal Instruments!  (source: Goodreads)

4.49/5
Goodreads-badge-add-plus

My review

After week and a half I was finally finished with the book at 4 in the morning. I must say, after the last page I just looked at a wall. Seriously. If someone came in to my room, they would have definitely thought I was high and hallucinating. 
And listening to Trey's Slow Motion (I do not know why, don't ask me this) I really did feel a bit high. And, it was after all 4 in the morning. But mostly sad. And happy too. Happy, because this part of my life (my teenager self adored this series, but as I grew up I moved to other books and authors) was finally over. When I was 17 and discovered this series I knew I was in serious trouble because all the time I was thinking about it and was re-reading my favourite scenes. And I legit cried at THE part with Jace in City of Glass, if you know what I mean. But, again, as I was growing up I really didn't like Clare's writing style anymore, it was so annoying at times that I just had to put the book aways and pick it up sometime (day) later. I feel sad, because part of me will like this series always. Ok, maybe because when you've been reading a series for so long it does feel like you died a little inside? I don't know... Probably.
On to the book review we go. I didn't like many things about the last book if I'm honest. 700+ pages? Really? I was scared when I started reading because knowing Clare, I knew there's going to be so much drama. And well, she delivered. A hell of a lot drama *wink wink* - which was too much. We could compare Clare to George R. R. Martin - she too likes her characters to suffer and the only difference between those two is that Clare doesn't let many of her characters die. She just likes to see them in pain. And us, oh and mostly us. Cassie if you're reading this - why the hell are you doing this to us? Are you, like a demon or something? That kind that feeds on humans emotions, mostly pain?
The second thing that bothered me were the long ass descriptions at the wrong moments. Who has time to think about the scenery when he/she is about to die? I love long ass descriptions, don't get me wrong, but if they are at the most ridiculous times I'm not going to like the book. And they were in this book. If she cut out the long and exhausting portrayal of so many freaking d e s c r i p t i o n s, the book would probably be lighter for 200 pages. Just saying.
Ok, if you haven't read the book yet, do not read this paragraph!!! I think, the most ridiculous thing that happened in this book was when Jace brought a condom to hell. Are you kidding me? Who, when he is about to go to defeat the greatest enemy Shadowhunters ever faced, would bring a condom to hell? A condom. I just can't get past this.... I'm so sorry, but it really was that ridiculous. I gotta give it to Jace though, that kid came totally prepared. 
Ok, you can open your eyes again. I'm going to stop with the bad things, because then it would be really ridiculous why I give CoHF 3.5 stars, since I did, in general, enjoy reading it. It was quite enjoyable, filled with happy and sad moments. Lot's of new characters were introduced and I liked that it was jumping from one POV to the other. Especially liked the ending, with all of them gathered together and having good time. And I did shed two or three tears. Ok, maybe 102.


No comments:

Post a Comment