Pages

Monday, June 22, 2015

The Raven Boys Review

The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle #1) by Maggie Stiefvater

Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue never sees them--until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks to her.
His name is Gansey, a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.
But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can't entirely explain. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul whose emotions range from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher who notices many things but says very little.

For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She doesn't believe in true love, and never thought this would be a problem. But as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she's not so sure anymore.    (Source: Goodreads)

4.02/5
Goodreads-badge-add-plus

My review

Let me just start by saying - the cover is to die for! It was partially why I picked this book out. And because it was promising a mystery and adventure. I just hoped it wouldn't be filled with this lovey-dovey crap because I get a lot of that from other fantasy books.
I admit that at first I didn't really understand what I was reading, I mean I had to get used to Maggie's writing style - it's a very special one and feels so fresh to be reading like that. It almost feels like you're reading poetry. Almost, since you still get the feeling you are reading a book. Just not an ordinary one.
I liked the characters, every one of them was unique in their own way and had a personality which defined them. The names she picked were also kind of poetic and extraordinary. I just couldn't identify myself with Gansey sometimes, although he is a very interesting character. But it seems so unusual for him to behave like he is 70 and not 17. Ok, now that I think of it, we all behave sometimes like we are older/younger than we really are. And others did say, that he is an old soul trapped in a young man's body. The person I could identify myself with the most, was Adam. Not so much because of the abuse, but because he was, to me, such a strong character. At home he was constantly abused and being around the Raven boys he felt like he had to try so hard and he could still not fit in. Not because of his personality, but because of his family, his struggling, and the part about having little to no money did not help at all. He was always trying to be his best, not just around Gansey or Blue, but at home too. It's so wonderful to read about the characters who struggle so much and they still have in them to be strong for themselves, and for others too. And the part, when he did what he did, I understand it. I understand that need to do everything by yourself and not be dependent on anybody. And, the most important, having your own free will.
All in all, the story did deliver mystery, adventure, little-to-no romance and a lot about friendship.


No comments:

Post a Comment